Douglas Dakota IV C-47B

Douglas Dakota IV C-47B

The famous Douglas DC-3 was developed from the DC-2 airliner, powered by two Wright Cyclone engines. It first flew on 17 December 1935. With the US Army Air Force and powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp radial engines, the aircraft was designated the C-47 Skytrain. In RAF service, it was the ‘Dakota’. During the Second World War, C-47 variants flew in many roles from parachute dropping to gunship and the aircraft was renowned for its ruggedness and reliability. A total of 10,655 C-47s were built and hundreds remain airworthy.

The Museum’s Douglas Dakota IV was manufactured in Oklahoma City, USA, as a C-47B and entered RAF service at RAF Montreal as KN353 in February 1945. In March 1945, it was transferred to 300 Wing in Australia and from May until December 1946 it served in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) with the ACSEA Communications Unit. From then until October 1947, when it was returned to the UK at 12 MU Kirkbride, it was in the Far East. During transit back to the UK, on final approach at Castel Benito in Libya, the Dakota suffered double engine failure due to a bird strike. The pilot, Flying Officer Alan Thame, landed the aircraft safely in spite of having no engine power and limited vision due to bird remains on the cockpit windows.

In February 1953, the aircraft was bought by Transair Ltd and registered as G-AMYJ. While on a troop-carrying charter with the RAF in 1954 it carried the designation XF747. Subsequently, the Dakota was flown by many small operators, including a spell in Egypt with Nile Delta Services as SU-AZF, until it was bought by Air Atlantique at Coventry Airport for Pollution Control work in the early 1980s. G-AMYJ was used in the television series, “Band of Brothers” about the Airborne D-Day landings.

The aircraft was donated to the Museum by Air Atlantique in December 2001, who especially alluded to the Yorkshire connection – “G-AMYJ” – Amy Johnson.

It was kindly transported to the Museum by Royal Air Force ARTF based at RAF St Athan. Part of the cost of transporting the Dakota to the Museum was met by the Preservation of Industrial and Scientific Material (PRISM) Grant Fund, administered by the Science Museum.

The Dakota has been estensively restored by the Museum’s Aircraft Engineering Department since it has been at the Museum. It has had two new radial engined fitted and is now “operational” and regularly used at the Museum’s “Thunder Days” and special events.

Douglas Dakota 360VR Tour

Take a fascinating virtual look inside our Douglas Dakota. If you’re on a mobile, simply tilt and turn your device. Desktop users, drag and drop to move the view. You can zoom and rotate a full 360 degrees, clicking on the markers will take you to a different section of the plane…

Blackburn Mercury Monoplane 1911 (Replica) AH (BAPC) 130 YAM Jan.1995

The Blackburn Mercury Monoplane is regarded as the first truly successful aircraft made by Blackburn at their factory in Leeds. The Mercury I, powered by a 50 hp Isaacson radial engine, was displayed at the Olympia Aero Show in March 1911 and made its debut flying from the beach at Filey with the newly formed Blackburn Flying School. In May 1911, it flew from Filey to Scarborough and back in 19 minutes at an average speed of 50 mph, reaching an altitude of 1200 feet.
This aircraft crashed the next day when the engine seized and the propeller flew off! The Mercury I was followed by two Mercury II aircraft powered by 50 hp Gnome engines, and six Mercury III aircraft, with a number of different engines. Sadly, a Renault powered Mercury crashed at Filey in December 1911, killing an instructor and passenger.
The Museum’s replica was built for Yorkshire Television in 1979 for the Edwardian drama series ‘Flambards’, and was taxied with a car engine. It came to YAM on 10th January 1995 and after a long period in storage it was painstakingly restored to a superb display standard, and was unveiled in June 2000 by Professor Robert Blackburn, grandson of Robert Blackburn, the aviation pioneer.

AVRO 504K ‘H1968’ (Replica) AH (BAPC) 42 YAM Oct. 1994

The Avro 504 first flew in 1913. In the opening phases of the First World War, it served with front-line squadrons in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service for bombing and reconnaissance, but from 1915 onwards the aircraft entered the training role for which it is most celebrated.

Over 8,000 Avro 504s were built. In 1918, the Royal Air Force had about 3,000, of which 2,276 were trainers.

The Avro 504 was stationed at many Yorkshire airfields, including Tadcaster near the A1/A64 junction, where a period hangar can still be seen.

The Yorkshire Air Museum’s replica was built by apprentices at RAF Halton and appeared at the Royal Tournament in 1968 to commemorate what was then fifty years since the end of the First World War. The aircraft was refurbished in early 2015 to be transported to Thiepval, Northern France, for the Somme Centenary commemoration event, on request of the British Government. In May 2018, it was also displayed at the impressive Hotel Les Invalides in central Paris for a joint RAF / French Air Force event to mark the Centenary of the Royal Air Force and over 100 years of British and French Air Force collaboration.