Your unique opportunity to be here at an unrepeatable evening on the 9th of May 2020.
The Yorkshire Air Museum Grand VE Charity Day Ball is to be the biggest celebration here at Elvington since the end of WW2.
As the end of war in Europe was declared on 8th of May 1945, Britain erupted into celebrations at the end of fighting in Europe. Street parties happened across the country as Prime Minister Winston Churchill famously declared:
“My dear friends, this is your hour!”
Winston Churchill. VE Day, 1945
- Join us on the evening of 9th May 2020 for the biggest celebration to take place here at RAF Elvington since the end of World War Two.
- You will be right here at York’s historic original 1945 air base, home to Allied Squadrons who flew the mighty Halifax four engined bomber, on the historic 75th anniversary of VE Day 1945.
- Celebrate this anniversary of the beginning of peace in Europe as our majestic Canadian hangar is transformed into a huge ballroom for the evening.
- Big band entertainment from Yorkshire’s leading Echo 42 and singing from The Seatones as you celebrate into the night and remember the peace in Europe that was delivered on this momentous day in 1945.
- Dress Code – Smart. Period dress would be amazing, however by no means compulsory! We want you to wear whatever gives you that Big Party feeling! Roll out your favourite period costume or simply break out your favourite stylist party outfit.
- Celebratory drinks on arrival and buffet dinner throughout the evening from our award winning culinary partners, CGC.
- Your entrance to the VE Day Charity Ball will be by advance ticket only, available to secure online here.
With the atmospheric and historic setting of our home base here at Elvington plus the wonderful backdrop and location of our huge hangar, you know this will be the VE Day party to be at in 2020.
The Programme for the Evening
7:30pm. Arrival and reception
8:00pm. “My Dear Friends, This is Your Hour!” Let the celebration commence with an evening of big band music, singers and entertainers as we celebrate and dance into the night
From 8:00pm, our Hot Fork Buffet will be available throughout the evening to enjoy.
The VE Day Charity Ball Menu
Your culinary experts have supplied wonderful cuisine to aerospace giants such as Farnborough Airshow and Paris International Airshow. When it came to deciding on a partner for your VE Day Ball hospitality, they were the obvious choice.
We simply know you’re going to love dining in this historical location, with the Museum’s aircraft exhibits as a backdrop to the evening and with a menu from locally sourced ingredients.
- Beef bourguignon strips of beef cooked in a red wine sauce with shallots, lardons & mushrooms
- Locally sourced chicken strips with smoked bacon & Muscat wine cream sauce finished with fresh basil
- Vegetarian alternative: Three bean chilli, nachos & sour cream
- The above are served with:
- Roasted new potatoes with rock salt &rosemary
- Stir-fried spring greens
- French breads with butter
- Lemon posset with berry compote
A cash / credit card bar will be with us throughout the evening
Your tickets for The Grand VE Day Charity Ball are available online only and in limited numbers.
- Individual ticket price £75 per head.
- Table for ten people £650. Entertain your friends, business partners or any guests you may choose with a table for ten people.
- A drinks package menu and detailed wine list will be supplied closer to the date.
The VE Day Charity Raffle
The reason we are all partying, of course, is to raise vital funds for the Museum to continue it’s important work. So, prepare yourself to bid for some adventurous and exciting prizes that our friends and business colleagues have so generously donated.
“We have some truly exciting projects planned for the future as we continue to tell the stories of the airmen from many nations who came together here at Elvington in wartime to fight for peace.
As we party together on May 9th, we are certain they would approve as we continue on our quest to honour, educate and inspire.“Barbara George, Museum Director
How To Book Your Tickets
All of your support will go towards the continued upkeep and development of The Yorkshire Air Museum. Tickets available online now. Or use the checkout below.
The VE Day Charity Ball will be a unique event. It is a chance for you to enjoy a wonderful evening, perhaps entertain your own guests, celebrate the peace in Europe we enjoy today and also support the work of The Yorkshire Air Museum.
It’s called The Grand VE Day Charity Ball. You just know you will want to be here…