The David Brown Aircraft Tractor was a common sight on UK airfields throughout World War II and until the mid-1950’s, where it was used extensively for towing aircraft and bomb trolleys. It weighs nearly 4 tons and is powered by a David Brown 4-cylinder, 2523cc, overhead-valve petrol engine delivering 37 bhp. The towing pull is 2.5 tons.
The transmission is a four-speed gearbox driving rear wheels through a Brockhouse turbo transmitter torque converter. The brakes are mechanical with a vacuum servo unit. The suspension is without springs and there is a swivelling front axle. The tractor is fitted with a 5-ton winch at the rear.
The examples at the Yorkshire Air Museum are the later diesel engined versions of the wartime VIG 1/462, which was introduced in the late 1940s and was used around RAF stations until the early 1970s.
Our tractors are still regularly used to position aircraft around the museum.