The Avro 504 first flew in 1913. In the opening phases of the First World War, it served with front-line squadrons in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service for bombing and reconnaissance, but from 1915 onwards the aircraft entered the training role for which it is most celebrated. Over 8,000 Avro 504s were built. In 1918, the Royal Air Force had about 3,000, of which 2,276 were trainers. The Avro 504 was stationed at many Yorkshire airfields, including Tadcaster near the A1/A64 junction, where a period hangar can still be seen. The Yorkshire Air Museum’s example was built to full flying standard by apprentices at RAF Halton and appeared at the Royal Tournament in 1968. In 2003 it appeared with a number of other Yorkshire Air Museum aircraft at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford, Buckinghamshire, to commemorate the centenary of the world’s first powered flight.