Our C47 Dakota is an original paratroop aircraft, used for dropping special forces over enemy territory. Every Thursday throughout the day, you can experience what life must have been like for a paratrooper as they prepared to parachute into battle in the skies over D Day.
This presentation is around thirty minutes and our guides will explain the preparations needed by paratroopers immediately before jumping and how the Dakota was used as a parachute plane.
Listen to the sounds of a Jump Master as he commands everyone to stand and prepare to jump from the Dakota and wait for the red light to turn green, ready to jump.
Learn about early parachute technology that was used in WW2 and how soldiers carried all of the equipment with them as they jump into battle.
Details for Access to The Dakota Experience
- Every Thursday from 18th July to 29th August
- The Dakota Experience is free of charge and runs at various times throughout the day.
- You need to be able to climb the stairs into the Dakota, similar to the airliner steps you ascend to go on holiday
- Lous sound effects and commentary form part of the Dakota Experience
- Sensible shoes are advisable, though not essential