The Kirby Cadet glider first flew in 1937. Early examples had a rubber shock-absorbing skid, but later versions had a fixed main wheel, a modified nose and a less tall rudder. During the Second World War, the Royal Air Force adopted the glider for air cadet training. Total production was over 430.
The Museum’s Kirby Cadet TX.1 was built during the War in London, by sub-contractor Ottley Motors Ltd., as one of a batch of 30. Its early service is not known, but in 1947 it was at No.41 Gliding School and in 1949 it was at RAF Woodvale.
After service at Woodford with the Hawker Siddeley Gliding Club, the Cadet went into preservation in 1963. It was acquired by the Yorkshire Air Museum in May 2000.
The glider is in very good original condition and has been lightly restored by the Museum’s volunteers.