The Royal Aircraft Factory BE.2c was built in the early summer of 1914, intended mainly as a reconnaissance aircraft. A few arrived in France later that year, but its lack of speed and manoeuvrability meant that by 1915 it was outclassed by the new Fokker monoplanes, when it became known as ‘Fokker Fodder’. After withdrawal from the Western Front, however, it achieved success as a night fighter and as a trainer. About 1300 were built, 111 sub-contracted to Blackburn in Leeds.
The Yorkshire Air Museum’s replica was built by the apprentices at RAF Halton and was used by the Royal Air Force as a display aircraft for many years.