The Avro Anson, which first flew in March 1935, was used by the Royal Air Force and many allied Air Forces for numerous tasks throughout the war. Many were to be eventually found operating in a civilian role when hostilities ceased. In all, 11,020 Ansons of all types were built, the last one being delivered to the Royal Air Force on 15 May 1952.
A total of 3,881 Ansons were manufactured at the Avro factory at Yeadon, next to the present Leeds Bradford Airport. In addition, the factory produced enough parts to build another 900 Ansons, making a total approaching 4,800 aircraft.
The Museum’s Anson, VV901, currently being restored, is one of 92 T.20 and T.21 aircraft made under contract at Chadderton between January 1949 and January 1950. T.21 Ansons were navigation trainers, with astrodomes. The aircraft began service with No. 1 Reserve Flying School at Panshangar and included the Civilian Fighter Control Co-operation Unit from 1958. By 1961, it was awaiting disposal at Leconfield and was eventually sold as scrap for use in a children’s playground. It came to the Museum in June 1993. The Anson will be fitted into the new Handley Page Hangar “hands on” display in 2016 and is being fitted to enable people to sit at the controls and turn the engines.