With rarely seen images and unique displays, this exhibition, created in 2010 was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and took over 2 years to complete. The exhibition, housed exclusively within one of the buildings of the UK’s premier Bomber Command Centre, includes:
- Sir George Cayley, the internationally acknowledged Father of Aeronautics, who lived near Scarborough
- Amy Johnson, a typist from Hull who was the first female to fly solo to Australia and Russia
- Neville Shute, author and engineer on the R100 Airship at Howden and founder of the Airspeed Aircraft Company in York and Portsmouth
- Sir Barnes Wallis, designer of the Bouncing Bomb, the Wellington Bomber and R100 Airship designer based at Howden in Yorkshire
- Robert Blackburn founder of Blackburn Aircraft (now British Aerospace) in Armley Leeds, the world’s first aeroplane production line.