The prototype Jet Provost T.1 was developed from the Piston Provost as an initial jet trainer and first flew on 26 June 1954. After trials, it went to No. 2 Flying Training School at Hullavington for the first all-through (Jet Provost to Vampire) jet flying training course. The T.3 was the basic trainer for the Royal Air Force until the mid-1970s, when the up-graded T.4 was introduced. Development continued to the T.5 and T.5A, which were used for training pilots selected for ‘fast jets’, like the Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer and Harrier.
The Jet Provost is a dual-control, single-engined aircraft, with the instructor sitting alongside the pupil. The T.4 is powered by an ASVII Viper engine, with 2,500 lb thrust.
The Museum’s T.4 is displayed in the colours of No. 6 Flying Training School at Finningley, where it served during the 1970s.